Kris Bailey, Head Chef and Owner at Melbourne’s Pizza Religion, shares with us his go-to pizza topping combination for a summer BBQ pizza party. Fig, prosciutto and gorgonzola with a little basil and truffle oil. Oh yes.
Kris’ Roast Fig Pizza
- 1 ½ dry yeast sachets
- 2 tsp fine white sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups strong 00' flour
- good pinch of Olsson's sea salt flakes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tin tomatoes
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp oregano, fresh, picked
- 8 figs, quartered
- 1 cup fior di latte (or baby bocconcini)
- ¾ cup gorgonzola
- 24 thin slices of prosciutto
- 1 bunch basil, picked
Basic Pizza Sauce:
Fig + Prosciutto Pizza:
- Combine yeast and sugar with 1 cup of luke warm water. Allow to sit for 5 minutes in a warm place until the mix becomes frothy. Fold in the olive oil.
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl and add the yeast mix. Mix well with your hands until a dough forms. Pop the dough onto a flour work station and knead well for 5 minutes until elastic.
- Cover the dough with a tea towel and rest in a warm place about an hour, or until doubled in size. Return to the floured work surface and knead for one minute. Cut into 4 portions and work each portion hard to form a small ball. Your pizza dough is now ready to be stretched, tossed or rolled out into your pizza base.
- In a saucepan cook the oil, onion and garlic over medium heat until soft. Add the remaining ingredients, season and simmer until slightly thickened (about 10 minutes). Allow to cool.
- Pre-heat your oven or BBQ to the maximum temperature and
- Once you have rolled out your pizzas, add 3 tablespoons of pizza sauce and push to the edges. Spread small chunks of gorgonzola and fior di latte around the pizza (it will melt and spread out so don't cover the base). Add figs evenly and season with salt and pepper.
- Oil an oven tray and cook for pizza for 6 – 8 minutes or until base crispy and golden and cheese melted. Finish with slices of prosciutto, lots of basil and a drizzle of truffle oil.